Monday, August 25, 2008

Best quote of the day

From my very astute mother:

"This earth is the only hell that a believer has to endure." That's actually a very comforting statement for any who are in the throes of suffering. I appreciate it.

You are entirely right, Steph; if Tim ever reads some of the funny things I've written about him, he might be quite embarrassed. Be assured that if I decide to submit anything for the general public, I'll respect his privacy; ie, NAME CHANGE and all that. Witness Protection Program, if it's really bad. He very fortunately, though, is blessed with a good sense of humor about himself, and knows that he is charmingly funny. I find myself dropping everything and paying close attention when he sidles up with his, "Uh, Mom? I hate to bother you, but......" Inevitably, something entertaining comes of it and I am pretty much guaranteed a smile, if not a chuckle out of the conversation.

You will all be relieved to know that he has made it through his second day of active PE successfully. Today was football, and I will admit, I was an eensy bit nervous about how he would do, because as you know, Tim has 2.5 gears only; 1st gear, which is a plodding forward motion; 1st and-a-half, which is a sort of side-to-side trotting attempt at acceleration; and the ever-useful REVERSE (back AWAY from the green peas...). However, his case manager very wisely placed him in a class with a teacher who has had several special ed kids in her care and knows how to reel folks back in from the distractions of gnats in a field, an untied shoelace or disturbingly uneven swim kickboards. In review of his second day of actual PE, Tim had the following comments: "I really enjoyed the long walk to the football field because it has good views along the way. Big sky and open spaces with no buildings. Besides that, it's nice to have a break from sitting in a classroom. And I had a good conversation with my teacher about the rules of football and rattlesnakes. Some kids have bumped into rattlesnakes on the field, but not today." KEEN.

The email from his teacher reports that he's doing fine and that she's heard him introduce himself to different kids several times. So, he's trying. He's trying. I'll get myself together tomorrow and let you know how the changing routine in the soggy bathroom went, because that requires some special vocabulary massaging to bring out the best of it........The Trials and Tribulations of Changing For PE......coming soon.

3 comments:

WRPH said...

I need to remember to NOT read your blog late at night. Having a little trouble stifling the chuckles...

football would certainly be more interesting if rattlesnakes were involved. rather gladiator, don't ya think?

Anonymous said...

Hilarious. I think you have an entire bookshelf worth of material if you just start writing down what Tim says. I'd buy the entire series.

Anonymous said...

OH you must keep a journal handy JUST for all of Tim's funny comments. NOW there is a "coffee table book" in the making. I know I would buy a few and even keep one open on the counter. Until Nicolas comes up with some I SO could use Tim's. I am anxious to hear your stories of changing for P.E. Those are memories NONE of us will forget. Talk about trauma to the eyes and nose!
Keep the entries coming and trust me we will keep reading!
HUGS....Steph.